Monday, March 3, 2014

Two at the zoo

Thank you for your sweet comments and birthday wishes regarding Naomi's birthday. Here are some photos from our celebration:

We did have a special breakfast together as family, but it ended up not being in her room (as is tradition) because she woke up really early and it threw off my plans! Here she is with her cinnamon toast (recipe highly recommended by Monica). (Doesn't she look thrilled to have her picture taken?!)
She got to play with one of her friends for awhile in the morning, and she had lots of phone calls throughout the day. Though she didn't say much on the phone, she was spellbound anytime someone was singing "Happy Birthday" to her.

Naomi learned at Christmas how much fun it is to open presents, and she certainly enjoyed opening lots of new goodies. (Jean jacket from my Aunt Mary; doll diaper bag from my grandma)

Eric's brother, and his fiancee, Alyssum, came over for an evening of pizza, cake, and hanging out. I wanted to do a zoo theme since Naomi loves animals. It would have been fun to go to the zoo, but unfortunately, the nearest zoo to us is over an hour away, and it's been a stinkin' cold winter!

Do you get the joke on the invitation--we're not lion (lyin')? I thought it was kind of clever. I paid less than $3 for the animal water bottles, napkins and plates. Woo-hoo!


I could never be a cake professional, but I think this turned out cute, despite the fact that it's a very campy version of this. (I didn't purchase anything and used what I already had in both materials and skills!) The birthday girl loved it, and asked for seconds (which I granted) and thirds (no way, sister!)

All birthdays are special of course, but Naomi's is unique in that she's a Leap Day baby, and that her birth was accompanied by such crazy circumstances. It makes the celebration that much sweeter to know all we've come through.

9 comments:

KellBell said...

Made me smile to read the cake was campy. I thought you did a great job. Must be good if 3rds are requested!

Mom said...

Cute photos of Naomi's special day :) - love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

So, how was the cinn toast? Love the cute plates :) And, my fave sentence of this whole post? This:The birthday girl loved it, and asked for seconds (which I granted) and thirds (no way, sister!)ha! love it! And, I think that cake is a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.

Kara K said...

What a cute cake! I'm always super impressed by moms who make their children's cakes!

Jessica said...

What a cute party and what a cute little girl! I can't get over how different and grown up she looks since we last her! I loved her photos from the previous post, too. Great job, Carrie, on the cake - amazing! I haven't attempted anything like that, yet. :)

Kendra said...

What a fun day! Good job, Mom! I'm impressed...official invitations even for her party. And, yes, great job with the cake!! Hoping I can swoon that sweet girl into liking me this weekend. ;)

Speaky1013 said...

So thoughtful as usual!! Loved everything you did!! :)

angie said...

Love the mama-daughter denim jackets! When I think of Naomi's leap day bday, I'm reminded of how the baby in Elizabeth's womb jumped for joy when he heard Mary's greeting.

Carrie said...

Trust the two year old to wake up early and throw off the plans! :D

But what did turn out looks like a whole lot of fun, regardless. Happy Birthday!