Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Small steps

There are several areas in my life where I have lately felt discouraged and/or overwhelmed.

Monica loaned me this book, and I was so encouraged by this brief statement: "Don't believe for a second that a small step in the right direction is a pointless exercise." Sometimes even small steps can feel difficult, and I was reminded to not give up hope and to persevere.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  James 1:2-5

A step forward, even a small one, is still moving forward. It reminds me of the concept of "imperfect progress" from this book. Something for me to keep pondering and aspiring to . . .

(above pic is of adorable boots that Naomi recently outgrew)

9 comments:

Mom said...

Overwhelmed and discouraged - those seem to be going around. I'm sorry you have been experiencing this and am praying that you have a great day today (and tomorrow and tomorrow). Keep taking those "small steps!"
Love and prayers, Mom
PS: adorable little boots! :)

Wendi said...

Yep, overwhelmed and discouraged sums up my life lately. That is a great quote! I am finding small steps are what keep me going.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I often find your blog to be a happy part of my day. I enjoy reading snippets about your life and things you do (in a totally non-stalkerish way!). Hope you feel brighter soon.

Alice

Katie said...

Praying for you, Carrie!! =) May we each take baby steps and God will hold us up on His path!

Psalm 18:35-36

Carrie said...

Carrie, I needed to hear this today more than you know! Thank you!

thehomespunheart said...

Indeed going around as Mom said. And, yes to how needed it is to be reminded that a small step is still a small step. Like Mom and I frequently say to each other - even if we can't get the whole house clean, we can get something done and that blesses our families. :)
*love* those little boots and the feet that are growing!

angie said...

The other day, when we were granted sun and warm temps, I rushed to do what I could in what little time I had. While water boiled for pasta, I ran out to our shed to put a few things away. That dominoed and soon I had stuff out of the shed and strewn in the lawn. (I can't make this stuff up!) My hubby came home and took inventory of the situation. Fortunately he offered to finish the last bit of dinner while I cleaned up. My daughter was helping because mess was from bunny hay! I lamented how I used to devote a day to cleaning out the shed in the spring. Now I'm down to 30 min! Then I was reminded of a saying from a busy mom, "Is it better than when I started?".

Carrie said...

Amen. And thanks for sharing about a hard moment.

Linds said...

Love that quote. Every step counts. Thanks for sharing.