Friday, March 7, 2014

Frugal accomplishments

Here are my frugal accomplishments from the past 2 1/2 weeks:

*Eric received a coupon for a free pint of ice cream for giving a pint of blood in a recent drive
*A friend of mine took Naomi's two-year photos for free
*An on-going set of privileges we take advantage of is perks that come with Eric's employment at the college--entrance to athletic events, music and theatre performances, and use of the athletic facilities.
*Used a mailer coupon for a free box of pasta
*Lots of deals at the grocery store, combining sales, coupons, and deal offers like this and this: 10 Yopl*it cups for 29 cents each (reg. 65 cents each), bananas, throat drops, toilet paper, cheese crackers, toothbrushes
*Free box of cornbread mix
*Redeemed a coupon for a free piece of pizza (a huge one!), which served as Nathan's supper one night
*Eric and Natalie went on a date and used gift cards to pay for their supper and mini-shopping spree.
*Scored several fun goodies on the 75% off Valentine clearance--a few things to save for next year, and something for Natalie's upcoming birthday.
*Bought a purse at the thrift store for $3. The strap on mine (that I've had for more years than I can count) broke just seconds after I entered the store, so it was nice I was in such a convenient store to replace it! Incidentally, I am a BORING purse person. I pretty much always go for basic and black.
*Made pumpkin bars, whole wheat crackers (a bust), corn bread, and corn dog muffins.
*Eric took the older kids to a free ice skating/hockey night.
*Mended two pairs of pants, a shirt, and Natalie's backpack
*Cooked two pounds of dried beans
*Redeemed an offer for a free drink (milk) when Nathan came along with me to a Chinese supper with friends. He shared my entree, so there was no extra cost, and I had enough left for lunch the next day.
*Earned a $5 gift card to our local bakery by reading 10 books during our library's winter adult reading challenge, and used part of it to treat the kids after a not-fun appointment
*Made Naomi's birthday cake for less than $2.
*Received a free bunch of bananas with a store coupon
*Used a Shutterfly code to order free prints
*Scored several BIG boxes of cereal for $1 each (reg. $3.99--75% off!), combining a sale and coupons 
*Stocked up on alfredo sauce when it went on sale for less than $1/jar (We were almost out, and I think I got 8 jars--this is one of my favorite ways to "save"--trying not to pay full-price!)
*Found a brand new white polo shirt for Nathan on clearance for $4--this is for Eric's brother's upcoming wedding, and I was thrilled to find a new one at this price!
*Also for Nathan: he is very hard on socks, and last time I was at the dollar store, I noticed they had packs of socks (3 pairs) for $1. I bought a package and he really liked them. (He's also very picky about how socks fit, and I have to buy ones that are smaller than what packages indicate for his shoe size.) So I bought 3 more packs on my last trip, since we don't have a store nearby. These cost much less than the socks I had been buying, and seem to hold up OK. Plus, they fit better, so it's an all-around win.
*Got a free package of gum with coupons--will give this to Natalie for her upcoming birthday, as she's become very interested in chewing gum lately!
*Paid just 2 cents for a bottle of hydrogen peroxide using a coupon. The bottle in our cabinet was embarrassingly old, so I was glad to replace it for pennies.
*Paid just 50 cents for 4 cups of Yopl*ait, combining a sale, coupon, and Checkout 51
*Got a bottle of juice for 49 cents combining a sale and coupon--I look for good prices on this (target price is 99 cents, so I beat it!) because Natalie has to bring 100% apple juice to preschool once a month.
*Swapped with a friend--I watched her 4 children for several hours one afternoon, and she gave me some home-canned goodies and a promise of watching the kids while Eric and I go out to eat one night.

I'd love to hear about some of your recent frugal activities!

4 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

WOW! Awesome savings! My last two weeks were more quiet, but we stayed home more so saved on gas. We rarely eat out, so cooking all our meals would seem frugal to many.

I have posted today on my blog the savings I have listed.

I'm curious how you get free products? Great savings on the yogurt too!

angie said...

I had to chuckle about the pint for a pint blood drive incentive! I've never donated, but know that I should. Perhaps tht would be the successful motivator for me.
It would be interesting for you to do a $ total of the approx savings from your lengthy list of savings in a ~2 week period. The purse alone wAould be quite substantial.
My kids and I got free chicken sandwiches at CFA by wearing bday hats to the restaurant. My daughter made our hats with poster board and yarn we had on hand.
I made dusting spray by filling my empty Pledge spray bottle with 1/3 lemon oil and water. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I had nothing to lose since I don't like using the lemon oil (which was a curb rescue)alone. I really like it!
My husband bought paint and supplies at Ace hardware unbeknownst that we had a coupon. I called the store and the mgr said that if I brought in the receipt and (now expired) coupon, he would honor it. Well worth it for $7 savings!
I was ready to buy a new tube of BB cream, but cut it open to get out the little bit remaining until I went shopping. Turns out, there is quite a bit left, probably enough for 2 weeks.
Made pumpkin muffins for lunches and a coffe date, crockpot oatmeal for my breakfasts (no longer using instant packets), double recipe of Spanish rice for my son's school Carnaval celebration, and potato soup for quick lunoches throughout the week.

thehomespunheart said...

Good job Carrie! And, Angie & Debbie :)

I cut both boys hair, googled for a discount code when ordering a blog book I recently finished and saved 25%, spent bee points on Beeyoutiful, used a gift card for a fun family dinner out plus for of us drank water, got a couple of clothing items at a thrift store, mended several things, cooked at home.

Mom said...

Another couple of weeks of awesome savings for you! :)

I redeemed another coupon for a free 12-pack of Coke (one more to use before the end of March), got a check for $21 from Ebates, and received some more free samples in the mail.

Love you! Mom