Friday, February 14, 2014

Hearts

Well, it's a day full of hearts. As I think about my own heart, something very present for me right now is thinking about where we were two years ago on these dates. I wrote last year about February 12 when I suddenly had to leave home, but most of these current dates are significant to me. On the 13th, I was flown by medical plane to Mayo. The 14th of 2012--Valentine's Day--was agonizingly difficult for Eric and me, as we were suddenly facing weeks in the hospital away from our children. They were emotionally exhausting days, and they have become a big piece of my story. I am grateful they no longer have the same grip on me that they did in the months that followed, but I never want to lose sight of the innumerable ways God provided for us and protected us during that time.

On a lighter note, we're happy to be celebrating our traditional valentine festivities. We had our usual valentine meal last night (baked ravioli--it's red and white, with heart-shaped garlic bread and veggies). Grammie sent these for dessert, as she usually does.
I've got the kids' (and Eric's!) little mailboxes filled with goodies to open at breakfast. (Thanks to both of our moms for sending treats!) Eric and I are going out tonight, thanks to our church sponsoring childcare for the evening--woo-hoo!

Here are the kids with their valentines ready for delivery at school. I had bought a little kit of 40 or so valentine cards at a stationery outlet when I was in CO last fall. They come with little treat bags, so we filled them with a valentine snack mix.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

6 comments:

Mom said...

Fun! :) I remember Valentine's Day two years ago, too - that was our first morning (of your hospital ordeal) with Nathan and Natalie and we served heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast that you had made ahead. (Of course, at the time, I'm sure you expected to be serving them!) Love to all, Mom/Grammie :)

kelseylynae said...

I love how you are able to do simple, thoughtful things that make days/events special for your family.

What a neat idea for your church to have childcare provided-- a great way to serve the families of the church. I may have to create this at our church!

Happy Valentine's Day… I'm thankful you are able to look back now and feel God's provision-- a great reminder to us all of the True Romance.

Speaky1013 said...

So sweet, as usual!! A beautiful heart Jesus gave you, Carrie Lea!!

Yay for you and Eric going out tonight!! Have fun!

angie said...

Such sweet traditions you have established for your family. Enjoy our night out, as they are always refreshing. God has shown himself so faithful-- what a wonderful example He gave to you on VDay!

erin said...

so glad you guys get a much-deserved night out! Enjoy!
Also, that is A LOT of snow I spy out the window. Come soon, spring! ;)

thehomespunheart said...

Fun, Carrie! Hope your evening out was enjoyable!! Love, Monica