In the last few years, I have become more interested in building up my immunity (and my family's), especially by using natural means. And of course it's even more on my mind in these cold winter months, when flu and other illnesses are running rampant.
I have put together quite a repertoire of things I use to "attack" when I feel illness coming on, and thought I would share them here for those who are interested:
1. Water/herbal tea--hydration is always important, but especially when our bodies are fighting something. I drink tea at least once a day when I have cold symptoms.
2. Emergen-C--I have been using this vitamin-packed powder for several years, and really feel that it gives me a boost when I need it. I usually drink it daily when traveling, and at home whenever I feel susceptible to a cold.
3. Berry Well*--While I don't love the taste, elderberry syrup is very powerful in fighting infections. I take this a few times a week during the peak of cold/flu season.
4. Fresh raw garlic (organic is even better)--I'll use it to flavor non-cooked dips like hummus or guacamole, or I'll smash a clove and take it with a spoonful of honey--it's a little tough to get down this way but it works.
5. Smoothies--Packed full of vitamins, especially C--I usually use strawberries, banana, orange juice (fresh or concentrate) and spinach.
6. Salt water--gargling for throat when irritated, and saline solution (spray or Neti-pot) for nasal congestion
7. Essential oils--Monica and I have both been studying these more recently and sharing tips with each other. I have a limited supply of oils (6 kinds) but have been learning how to use them to boost my health. (Lemon for sore throat and eucalyptus for nasal congestion have been most-used here thus far.)
8. Tummy Tune-up*--A super-powerful probiotic that I take (and give the kids) when we experience any sort of tummy troubles. Monica and I are huge fans!
9. Rest--Though sometimes this is the hardest "pill to swallow," it can't be over-stated how important it is, especially when we are prone to getting sick.
10. Hand-washing--I know Eric thinks I can be a little overbearing when it comes to hand-washing, but especially in peak seasons of illness, I am very proactive about this simple way to stop the spread of germs.
Lastly, I also use throat drops when I have a tinge of sore throat, though the kind I've used for a long time is not considered "natural."(And I should mention that we our entire family gets the flu shot each fall.)
So that's my arsenal--I'd love to know how you fight off illness!
*These products come from an excellent company called Beeyoutiful. If you should decide to sign up for an account with them, I'd be much obliged if you'd sign up through this link (referral code: 1666203) so I can earn credit towards future purchases. Thank you! If you read the reviews of these two products on the website, I think you will be blown away. They are truly amazing! And even if you aren't interested in ordering, they have a wealth of information on their site about natural health and wellness.